Senior Payroll Coordinator
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Director, the Senior Payroll Coordinator oversees and assists all computing, posting, data entry, and other bookkeeping activities in the preparation of the department payroll. Communicates regularly with employees, supervisors, and management regarding payroll related activities. Oversees and assists with the maintenance of all payroll records, data, and is intimately familiar with all relevant payroll rules and regulations in relation to Legal Requirements, City Policy, and Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Supervises and assists departmental payroll staff to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing on a regular and recurring basis.
- Works in conjunction with the Payroll Manager in order to accomplish the execution of the weekly payroll process.
- Maintains a general knowledge of the citywide payroll function in order to assist other departments with the payroll process in the absence of departmental payroll staff that may be caused by an absence or vacancy.
- Runs various reports and payroll audits and gathers information for managers or supervisors as requested. Assists with all back-end payroll and related financial procedures as required.
- Assists with the preparation of payroll related paperwork and executes payroll changes within the City’s financial information systems. Assists the Finance Director and other citywide payroll staff in the review and quality control activities for employee attendance and time entry and confirms supervisor approval. Notifies supervisors of any inaccuracies, irregularities, mistakes, or issues of any kind.
- Maintains a general knowledge of all payroll rules and regulations regarding legal standards, collective bargaining agreements, and city and department payroll policies. Maintains and organizes department records in compliance with legal and city requirements.
- Maintains a strong understanding of the City’s payroll software and hardware and assists with implementation of related processes and troubleshooting issues as needed. Assists with maintenance of active employee database and can update and provide information when necessary. Understands and helps maintain employee leave banks.
- May work with Human Resources staff to maintain status reports on worker’s compensation and FMLA.
- Maintains a general understanding of all processes related to special pay runs, retro payments, and any other special pay circumstances. May be required to work overtime to ensure proper payments following weather events, payroll processing issues, absences, vacancies, or any other unforeseen circumstances.
- Must be responsible when accessing confidential information and must be able to maintain professional communication at all times. Must be able to handle high stress situations. Due to the nature of the role, the high importance to individual employees, the potential for misunderstandings, and the ramifications of errors, high stress situations such as quick deadlines and meetings with other employees or management may occur.
- May be required to perform administrative duties for the department including taking notes or attending payroll related meetings, ordering supplies, and any other related administrative duties. May be required to attend payroll training or training related to the City’s financial information systems.
- Performs other similar duties as required and directed.
- Bachelors Degree and three to five years of payroll related experience and/or training. Municipal experience is desirable, or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong knowledge of administrative office procedures and the operation of office equipment such as personal computers and computer software, word processing and spreadsheet applications (demonstrated skill in the use of Microsoft Excel is required). A strong commitment to public service required.
- City Retirement (Mandatory)
- 457 Deferred Compensation plans
- Dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health insurance
- Metro Credit Union
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Direct Deposit
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous paid leave time benefits and paid holidays.
- Opportunity to serve the public and join a dynamic team of dedicated employees
- Verizon Wireless discount
Full Time, Non-Exempt Position
For more information and to apply, please click here:
Senior Payroll Coordinator
Job Type: Full Time